(Reuters) - The head of Uruguay's soccer association, Wilmar Valdez, says it was a mistake to play the Centenary Copa America in the United States and that the tournament had been arranged to favor Mexico, who beat Uruguay 3-1 in their opening game. In a bad-tempered encounter in Phoenix on Sunday, Uruguay had a man sent off in the first half and conceded two goals in the last nine minutes. Valdez told Uruguayan radio station Sport 890 that the South American Football Confederation (CONMEBOL) should not have chosen the United States to host the 100th anniversary of the world’s oldest continental competition first played in Buenos Aires in 1916.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Featured Post
Carlos Vela's future is among the 14 roster riddles LAFC is trying to solve
LAFC general manager John Thorrington has just six weeks to rebuild a roster that has lost 18 players, and it's unclear if Carlos Vela...
Popular Posts
-
Patrik Berglund scored three goals to lift the St. Louis Blues to a 4-2 victory over the Montreal Canadiens on Saturday night for their fou...
-
The first-place Philadelphia Union are looking to put an inconsistent stretch behind them, when they head to Houston to play the last-place ...
-
ST. LOUIS (AP) -- A competing group wants to join forces with SC STL in building a new $200 million downtown St. Louis soccer stadium in hop...
No comments:
Post a Comment